Each spring I enjoy seeing the latest recipes the Hass Avocado Board is featuring for our luscious local fruit. For those who enjoy more traditional uses, there are some recipes with just slight new angles. For those who enjoy ideas out-of-the-box, there are some new adventures ahead!
Try these tantalizing ideas using Fallbrook-grown avocados and Love One Today®, which is the name of the Hass Avocado Board’s current campaign. It encourages consumers to include fresh avocados, which are delicious and cholesterol-free in everyday healthy eating plans.
Grilled Chicken Flatbread with Avocado Yogurt and Chopped Salad
This recipe is great for repurposing leftover chicken breasts! These sandwiches make for an easy dinner or packed lunch that is bursting with flavor.
- 1 ripe, fresh avocado – halved, pitted, peeled, and cubed
- 1 and 1/2 cups peeled, seeded, diced cucumber
- 1/4 cup diced sweet onion
- 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
- 2 tbsp. plain, two percent Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh dill
- 2 grilled chicken cutlets, sliced
- 4 whole-wheat pitas or flatbreads
- In medium bowl, combine cucumber, onion, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Let stand 20 minutes.
- In a blender, combine half of the avocado, yogurt, 2 tablespoons of water, half of the lemon juice, pepper, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; purée until smooth.
- Drain cucumber mixture; add tomatoes, dill, remaining lemon juice, and remaining cubed avocado; stir to combine.
- Spread pitas with avocado purée. Top with chicken and cucumber mixture.
Avocado Turkey Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Adding avocado to the filling makes for a nutrient-rich creaminess that complements the sweet and spicy baked potato.
- 1 ripe, fresh avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and cubed
- 4 medium-size sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 8 oz. ground, white-meat turkey
- 1 (14oz.) can petite diced tomatoes in juice
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- Heat oven to 400°F
- With a fork, pierce sweet potatoes all over several times. Place on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil; bake until soft and fork tender, about 45 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. Add onion and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, cumin, oregano, and salt.
- Add turkey; cook, stirring and breaking it up with a spoon until no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in avocado.
- Slice baked sweet potatoes lengthwise, just until open. Fill with turkey mixture.
Avocado Egg Salad
Creamy avocado and spicy Dijon mustard replace mayonnaise in this new twist on an old favorite! Those who like mustard in their egg salad and potato salad will love this!
- 1 ripe, fresh avocado, halved, pitted, and peeled
- 6 hardboiled eggs, peeled and halved
- 1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 2 tbsp. chopped chives (optional)
- Remove and discard yolks of two of the eggs; chop remaining whites and eggs; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine half of the avocado, vinegar, mustard, and salt; mash until smooth.
- Dice remaining avocado and add to mixture along with eggs and onion; mix gently.
Avocado Mango Rice Salad
This unique rice salad is a perfect blend of sweet and savory and makes for easy entertaining or a satisfying lunch. It can be served with white rice instead of brown, or over mixed greens.
- 1 ripe, fresh avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and cubed*
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and cubed
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
Note: Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
- In a large bowl, combine rice, beans, mango, bell pepper, scallions, lime juice, oil, cilantro, salt, and pepper.
- Add avocado; toss gently
Fresh Avocado Chocolate Mousse
Fresh avocados help make this dark chocolate mousse rich and creamy.
- 1 (16 oz.) container low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 ripe, fresh avocados, peeled and pitted
- 6 oz. bittersweet dark chocolate, chopped
- Place cottage cheese in the work bowl of a food processor and purée until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Add sugar and avocado and purée until avocado is completely incorporated and mixture is very smooth. Set aside.
- Place chocolate in a glass or microwave-safe bowl and heat on high at 30-second intervals, stirring between intervals until chocolate has melted and is smooth.
- With food processor running, pour chocolate through feed tube and blend with avocado mixture until completely incorporated.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve.
Avocado and Coconut Ice Pops
Simple ingredients are used in making this refreshing treat! They are also attractive and fun to eat! Although any pop mold can be used, this recipe just suggests paper cups.
- 1 large, ripe fresh avocado, sliced and pitted
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp. honey (may substitute with 2 tbsp. sugar)
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Place avocado, coconut milk, honey, and lemon into blender. Blend on high until smooth.
- Pour into 5 oz. paper cups.
- Place in freezer until firm, but not frozen. About 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Insert popsicle sticks and sprinkle even amounts of shredded coconut into each cup.
- Return to freezer for about 4 hours until firm.